Manders Barrow generally known as White Lowe. The barrow formerly stood about a mile west of the village of Winster, on the right hand side of the road leading to Pike Hall, but was destroyed by the farmer when the Common was enclosed in 1765 to 1766. Found in the barrow were two globular urns, a gold and garnet filigree cloisonné brooch with silver back, probably dating from the 7th century, two glass vessels, a silver collar or bracelet, several beads and the remains of bronze clasps to a jewel box. A gold filigree cross, also presumably 7th century was also found during demolishing of a tumulus on Winster Common. These artefacts now exist in Sheffield Museum Collection. It was not recorded by the farmer whether or not the artefacts were accompanied by a skeleton. (3-5). The barrow was destroyed by John Mander of Bakewell in 1765. (6).
The site was not located during a survey in 1966. (7).
White Low barrow is probably destroyed or lost, but it was located on a low hill on the undulating plateau top, upon the commons of Winster. It was found in 1765 or 1976 when the commons were enclosed in a small allotment made to Mr William Goodwin who levelled the barrow. This location must be under a mile from Winster and the only hill here centres on SK230 599. This hill is covered with small fields which fits the description well and therefore the barrow almost certainly stood on this hill somewhere. The barrow revealed Anglian finds as listed above. (10).
A possible barrow was located during an Archaeological Survey in 1998 at SK 243 599. It is a low mound which is c.0.2 metres high by c. eight to twelve metres in diameter. It is unlikely to be due to lead mining as there are no other traces in the region. If it is a barrow, it has been flattened by ploughing. (11). However, if this was a barrow or even a possible barrow, it seems odd that Barnatt did not record it. With regard to the location of the barrow, the hill centring on SK230 599, as suggested by Barnatt has been plotted on the map. (12).
Article in serial: Mander, J. 1775. 'Discoveries in a Barrow in Derbyshire', Archaeologia. Volume 3, pp 274-275. p274.
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. pp 19-21.
Bibliographic reference: Howarth, E. 1899. Catalogue of the Bateman Collection of Antiquities in the Sheffield Public Museum. pp 222-223.
Article in serial: Fowler, M. 1954. 'The Anglian Settlement of the Derbyshire-Staffordshire Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 74, pp 134-151. pp 148-149.
Article in serial: Ozanne, A. 1962-3. 'The Peak Dwellers', Medieval Archaeology. Volume 6-7. pp 15-52.
Personal Observation: F1 BHS 14-APR-66.
Article in serial: Lester, G A. 1976. Medieval Archaeology 20. pp 136-137. pp 136-137.
Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 2082.
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Barrow 10:47.
Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 1998. Bank Top Farm, Winster, Bonsall, South Darley, Derbyshire, archaeological survey 1998.
Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 23 59 (491m by 469m) (Centred on)
WINSTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2015 11:56AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.