Monument record MDR282 - Barrow, Wool Low, south-east of Tim Lodge, Green Fairfield
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 088 730: Wool Low, Barrow site: [Probably area SK 088 730]. A conspicuous Lowe, called Woolowe, visible from across the river, gives its name to a farm. Listed as a barrow called Wool Low or Hoo Low. (2). (1,2). No trace of a barrow was found in the indicated area. (3). There is likely to have been a barrow here, as (1) refers to it as extant at that date. There are no recorded excavations and no remains today. (5)
- <1> SDR8082 Bibliographic reference: Jewitt, A. 1811. History of Buxton. pp 80-81.
- <2> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p 295.
- <3> SDR6350 Personal Observation: F1 JB 02-FEB-66.
- <4> SDR14484 Index: NDAT. 1019. 1019.
- <5> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 2:10.
|Grid reference||SK 088 729 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||GREEN FAIRFIELD, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 7 2017 3:11PM