Monument record MDR2848 - Bowl Barrows, 160m south-south-west of Rockhurst Farm, Aldwark
Type and Period (4)
- CREMATION (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- BOWL BARROW (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- INHUMATION (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- CIST (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
SK 21515787. North-east of Minning Low. A barrow opened by T. Bateman in 1849, containing fragments of three Roman Derbyshire ware urns, a Roman coin and much charred wood, suggesting an in-situ cremation. (1,2). The above excavation and finds are wrongly attributed to this site. This site was excavated on 19th July 1843 by Bateman. The site had been previously disturbed but the excavation cut the site into four sections in which Bateman found an inhumation, six flints, a small square cist with a capstone containing a cremation, two circular flints (scrapers?), and a possible flint knife. Outside the cist were a few sherds of an unusually thick, crude design of pottery. (4). The two bowl barrows at Rockhurst were scheduled on the 22nd December 1992 and are located ten metres apart above an outcrop on the south-eastern uplands of the limestone plateau of Derbyshire. The monument includes both barrows within a single constraint area. The larger barrow, situated adjacent to a quarry pit to the south-east, consists of a steep-sided, sub-circular mound measuring 13½ metres by 11½ metres and surviving to a height of c.1½ metres. The top of the mound has been disturbed and it is possible that this is the barrow on Brassington Moor partially excavated by Thomas Bateman in 1849. The smaller north-western barrow has a diameter of 9½ metres and is c.0.2 metres high, having apparently been excavated almost to the old land surface though there is no record of such an excavation. Clearly visible in the remains of the smaller barrow are a stone cist and three rock-cut pits in which burials will have been placed. These features and the overall appearance of both barrows indicate that they are of Bronze Age date. (5). Site monitoring has been carried out. See record for details. (6)
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills.
- <2> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p8.
- <3> SDR10128 Index: NDAT. 2776. 2776.
- <4> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:8.
- <5> SDR18462 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1993. Scheduling Notification. 13342. Cat. No.: 302.
- <6> SDR22288 Unpublished document: Marriott, J (PDNPA). 2011. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Two Bowl Barrows at Rockhurst.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2150 5783 (25m by 38m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||ALDWARK, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 12 2014 12:38PM