Monument record MDR2849 - Lead working, Roystone Grange, Ballidon
Type and Period (1)
- LEAD WORKINGS (Late Neolithic to Roman - 3000 BC to 409 AD)
SK 201566. The Roystone Grange landscape contains lead working of prehistoric or early Roman date. (1-5) The precise location of the lead workings is unknown and therefore the area of the 1970s and 1980s excavation of Roystone Grange have been plotted. (6) At Roystone Grange, near Ballidon, the main evidence for lead working was a hearth with 'lead debris' overlying a house site, but this could not be securely dated to the Roman period. To date, there has been one postulated example of archaeological evidence for Roman or earlier surface working, found during extensive excavation. Here an ancient field boundary was suggested to overlie the upcast from a backfilled open-cut into a scrin, the field bank was suggested to be of 2nd century AD date. However recent re-evaluation of the Roystone Grange field boundaries has led to the questioning of this evidence. It is argued that the boundary feature was built in the medieval period and the stratigraphic evidence with regard to the lead working is at best ambiguous, it is concluded that the lead mining is of medieval or post-medieval date. (7)
- <1> SDR4641 Article in serial: Hodges, R & Wildgoose, M. 1981. 'Roman or Native in the White Peak: The Roystone Grange Project and its Regional Implications' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 101. pp 42-57, fig plate plan.
- <2> SDR4652 Article in serial: Hodges, R, Poulter, M & Wildgoose, M. 1982. 'The Medieval Grange at Roystone Grange' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 102. pp 88-100, fig plan plate.
- <3> SDR4671 Article in serial: Hodges, R & Wildgoose, M. 1991. 'Roystone Grange: Excavations of the Cistercian Grange 1980-1987', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 111. pp 46-50, fig plan plate.
- <4> SDR7214 Bibliographic reference: Hodges, R (University of Sheffield). 1991. Wall-to-Wall History: The Story of Roystone Grange.
- <5> SDR16536 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduling Notification. 29830. Cat. No.: 413.
- <6> SDR20034 Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <7> SDR23288 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1999. 'Prehistoric and Roman mining in the Peak District- present knowledge and future research', Mining History: The Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 200 565 (159m by 233m) (Multiple Site Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 13 2015 12:44PM