Monument record MDR2858 - Aldwark Grange, Aldwark
Type and Period (4)
- GRANGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FISHPOND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Aldwark Grange was founded from the Augustinian Darley Abbey. There is little left today of medieval granges, either in remains or documentary references, although the word 'grange' is common on map sof Derbyshire. Generally, although not exclusively, the name is attached to a farmhouse. (1). The likely site of the original Aldwark Grange is approximately 0.3km (¼mile) from Grange Barn on the Newhaven road, on the south side of the road. Here, near the fairly modern farm building, are the remains of foundations of a much more solidly constructed building, and there is also a very elaborately made water conduit aiming in that direction. (2). In the field to the north of the modern barn are a series of platforms and enclosing banks probably associated with Aldwark Grange. There is also at least one holloway. The bank flanking the holloway is edged in places by small limestone blocks. In a small enclosure to the west/south-west of the barn, the ground level is raised with access from the east, possibly up steps. It is tentatively suggested that the grange chapel may have been in this area. The barn itself is built on a larger platform, while the 'yards' to the south may be on earlier building foundations. The field to the east of the barn contains a spring and the site of fishponds assumed to be associated with the grange. The field to the south includes a sunken track, the line of a conduit, a length of which is exposed, and, at the east end of the field, a fishpond and fishtrap associated with the grange. This field also includes lead mining remains. (4)
- <1> SDR904 Article in serial: Allen, J W. 1956. 'Granges', The Derbyshire Countryside. Vol. 21 (6), pp 24-25.
- <2> SDR8335 Article in serial: Lomas, J. 1960. 'Notes & Queries 93: Medieval Aldwark', Derbyshire Miscellany. Vol. 2, pp 285-286.
- <3> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 0037.
- <4> SDR19425 Archive: Shackleton Hill, A. 1989. Survey of Aldwark Grange - annotated maps.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 23 58 (288m by 288m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ALDWARK, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 29 2008 3:18PM