Monument record MDR2877 - Earthen mound, Minninglow, Ballidon
Type and Period (2)
A second earthen round barrow raised against the earlier cairn with a diameter of 36.6 metres [SMR 901 is this diameter, not SMR 902 or 901]. (1). This barrow was excavated on the 27th July 1849 by Bateman when he noticed it was abutting SMR 901. An in situ primary cremation, accompanied by a burnt bronze razor, two flint knives and a bone tool were discovered. (2,3,4,10). The finds included a piece variously interpreted as a razor or a 'early Bronze Age flat rivetted dagger' (5). Bateman classified the piece as a dagger and this is followed by Barnatt (10).
- <1> SDR12315 Index: OS. SK 25 NW 11. SK 25 NW 11.
- <2> SDR9478 Index: NDAT. 0159. 0159.
- <3> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. pp 54-55.
- <4> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. pp 39-40.
- <5> SDR6862 Article in serial: Fox, C and Grimes, W F. 1928. 'Corston Beacon, an early Bronze Age cairn in south Pembrokeshire', Archaeologia Cambrensis. Volume 8.
- <6> SDR4451 Bibliographic reference: Daniel, G E. 1950. Prehistoric Chambered Tombs of England and Wales. pp 182-183.
- <7> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p12.
- <8> SDR7886 Article in serial: Manby, T. 1958. 'Chambered tombs of Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 78, pp 25-39. pp 25-39.
- <10> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:6.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2092 5730 (19m by 20m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 16 2007 1:42PM