Skip to main content

Monument record MDR2881 - Round Barrow, near Quarry, Ballidon Moor, Ballidon

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

One of four monuments [SMR 906, 909 and 910] located in the vicinity of Ballidon Moor. This monument was opened by T. Bateman on the 1st August 1849, recovering some Roman pottery, but had been mutilated by the working of a neighbouring quarry. A 'pitcher' had been recovered some years previously. (1,2). A field survey in 1966 noted that only one barrow was visible in this region [probably SMR 906]. (3). Barnatt records this barrow as 10:41 and concludes that it has been destroyed or lost. (4). The barrow has been located on the map near to 10:41 and SMR 909 and 910 on Ballidon Moor. However, the exact location of the barrow is unknown. (5).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p60.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p13.
  • <3> Index: NDAT. 0162. 0162.
  • <4> Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:41.
  • <5> Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..



Grid reference SK 2050 5507 (point) (Approximate)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 20 2015 4:07PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.