One of four barrows in the region of Ballidon Moor. This monument was located in the next field but one to SMR 907 and was excavated by Bateman on the 1st August 1849. It had been nearly all removed, but its position on a rocky protuberance gave it an air of completeness. A human humerus was recovered along with a whetstone and a cow's tooth. (1). A field survey in 1966 noted that only one barrow was still visible in this region (probably SMR 906). (3). Barnatt came to the same conclusion, recording this barrow (10:42) as destroyed or lost. (4). However, Barnatt also located a roughly cicular mound on a rocky knoll in Ballidon Moor which he suggests may be this barrow. (5). As the precise location of the barrow is unknown, the map point has been plotted in the vicinity of the rocky knoll and 10:42 referenced in authority 4 and 5. (6).
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p60.
Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p13.
Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 2050 5507 (point) (Approximate)
BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 20 2015 4:06PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.