Monument record MDR2884 - Round Barrow, Ballidon Moor, Ballidon
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
One of four barrows [SMR 906, 907 and 909] located in the vicinity of Ballidon Moor. This monument is the third barrow excavated by Bateman on the 1st August 1849. It was in the same field as site SMR 909. Half of the barrow had already been removed. Excavation recovered a few animal bones, part of a whetstone and a few fragments of pottery. (1). A field survey from 1966 only identified one barrow in this vicinity [probably SMR 906]. (3). Barnatt also concluded that this barrow was destroyed or lost. (4). This barrow has been located in the vicinity of 10:43 and SMR 907 and 909, but the precise location of the barrow is unknown. (5).
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p60.
- <2> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire.
- <3> SDR9481 Index: NDAT. 0162. 0162.
- <4> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:43.
- <5> SDR20034 Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||SK 2050 5507 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 31 2007 9:59AM