Monument record MDR2891 - Round Barrow, Ryestone Grange, Ballidon
Type and Period (2)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CREMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
A barrow near Ryestone Grange, close to Minninglow Farm was opened by Bateman on August 13th 1849. The mound was crossed centrally by a thick wall that hampered excavation. Numerous human bones were recovered including a child's skeleton. There was a cremation on the old ground surface accompanied by a bone pin. A beaker sherd was also found in the centre of the mound. A Saxon iron knife was found near the surface. (1,4,5). A barrow with a diameter of c.10 metres and a height of 0.8m located on a ridgetop with good visibility over land to the north. The mound is crossed by a drystone wall which runs across a central pit. Bateman excavated the mound on the 13th August 1849 when he dug at one side of the wall. He found many disturbed human and animal bones. 0.3 metres down from the surface, an iron knife was found. On the natural surface was a cremation with a bone pin and from underneath a 'curiously ornamented' Beaker sherd was discovered. Elsewhere, a second bone pin, a flint flake and a possible PTD arrowhead not mentioned by Bateman. (6). Accurate location of barrow opened by T Bateman on 13th August 1849. The barrow has been partially removed by an early 20th century tramway, exposing a cist and associated cremated bone, a plano-convex knife and a pair of (modern) iron tweezers. The barrow is 9.90 metres x 3.0 metres with the primary interment (almost certainly a cist grave) at its northern end, apparently undisturbed prior to the 20th century damage. Bateman dug into the mound to the south of the cist. It seems that a low cist-mound was partially destroyed in Roman or early Anglo-Saxon times to make a secondary barrow. The finds from this, noted to Bateman, suggest that the original cist belongs to the early bronze Age, while Bateman was probably correct in his belief that the secondary grave was Anglo-Saxon in date. (7).
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. pp 61-62.
- <2> SDR7287 Bibliographic reference: Howarth, E. 1899. Catalogue of the Bateman Collection. 220. p220.
- <3> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. pp 12-13.
- <4> SDR9491 Index: NDAT. 0172. 0172.
- <5> SDR10130 Index: NDAT. 2779. 2779.
- <6> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:2.
- <7> SDR4596 Article in serial: Hodges, R, Thomas, J & Wildgoose, M. 1989. 'The barrow cemetery at Roystone Grange', Derbyshire Archaeology Journal. Volume 109.
|Grid reference||SK 2035 5710 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 20 2009 2:25PM