Find Spot record MDR2895 - Flint implements, cores and bead, Websters Field, Ballidon
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Early Mesolithic to Saxon - 10000 BC to 1065 AD)
- None recorded
Large amounts of flint have been recovered from Websters field at various times. F. Radford recovered quantities of Neolithic and Bronze Age scrapers and arrowheads after the field had been ploughed. Two partly polished axes were also found by Mr Bloor in 1963, which he retained. (1,2). Two Mesolithic flint cores were found near the Cromford and High Peak railway line and now in the collection of F. Radford, of Brassington. (2,3-5). D. Vallance recovered a chert spokeshave in 1959, and Barbed and Tanged leaf arrowheads, a borer, a knife thumb, end scrapers and various blades and knives in 1960, 1961 and 1964. (6). A blue glass bead was also found in the same area as the Mesolithic flint cores. It was suggested by the late Dr. Jackson, of Buxton, that this was Anglo-Saxon. (5).
- <1> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 0176.
- <2> SDR5721 Bibliographic reference: East Midlands Committee of Field Archaeologists. 1962. East Midlands Archaeological Bulletin, 1962. No. 5.
- <3> SDR9063 Article in serial: Manby, T. 1963. 'Some Mesolithic Sites in the Peak District and Trent Basin', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 83, pp 10-23.
- <4> SDR20098 Personal Observation: Seaman, B H. 26-APR-1966. Pers. Comm..
- <5> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 0438.
- <6> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 2450.
|Grid reference||SK 2125 5624 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 21 2007 9:43AM