Monument record MDR2907 - Round barrow (1 of 2), Back Low Close, Ballidon
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
A mutilated barrow near Ballidon, in a field called Back Low Close which was opened by Carrington on the 25th May 1851. The excavation revealed pottery fragments, charcoal and the bones and teeth of animals. (1). During a field survey in 1966, the barrow was not located. Ballidon is a minor hamlet only but no local person could identify the above named close. (2). Barnatt records this barrow as destroyed or lost as there are extant sites recorded here. The name Back Low Close is also not known. There is a Backlow Pingle in Parwich and if Carrington referred to this, then the barrow is located much further to the west of Ballidon. (3).
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p177.
- <2> SDR6299 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 06-MAY-66.
- <3> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:53.
- <4> SDR20034 Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||SK 21 54 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 14 2019 12:20PM