Monument record MDR2908 - Round Barrow (2 of 2), Back Low Close, Ballidon

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

A barrow in the same field, Back Low Close, as SMR 950. Only one edge remained and Carrington removed this on the 25th May 1851. Previously excavation had revealed a skeleton in a cist, accompanied by a pot. The 1851 excavation recovered burnt bone and charcoal. (1). During a 1966 survey, the barrow was not located. Ballidon is a minor hamlet only but no local person could identify the above named close. (2). Barnatt records this barrow as destroyed or lost. (3).

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p177.
  • <2> Personal Observation: F1 FRH 06-MAY-66.
  • <3> Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:54.
  • <4> Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994).

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 21 54 (point) (Approximate)
Civil Parish BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR851

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 14 2019 12:20PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.