Monument record MDR2908 - Round Barrow (2 of 2), Back Low Close, Ballidon
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
A barrow in the same field, Back Low Close, as SMR 950. Only one edge remained and Carrington removed this on the 25th May 1851. Previously excavation had revealed a skeleton in a cist, accompanied by a pot. The 1851 excavation recovered burnt bone and charcoal. (1). During a 1966 survey, the barrow was not located. Ballidon is a minor hamlet only but no local person could identify the above named close. (2). Barnatt records this barrow as destroyed or lost. (3).
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p177.
- <2> SDR6299 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 06-MAY-66.
- <3> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:54.
- <4> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994).
|Grid reference||SK 21 54 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 14 2019 12:20PM