Monument record MDR2962 - Harborough Brick Works (site of) and sand quarries
Type and Period (3)
- BRICKWORKS (Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1890 AD to 1974 AD)
- TRAMWAY (Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1890 AD to 1974 AD)
- DOWNDRAUGHT KILN (Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1900 AD to 1974 AD)
- None recorded
A 19th century brickworks adjoining the Cromford and High Peak Railway, with extensive sand workings close at hand. Prior todemolition in 1974, the works contained 6 Beehive kilns. (1) Slides are at Derby Museum and Art Gallery (2). Nothing is shown on the 1st ed. 25" OS map at the site. (3) By 1899 a tramway had been constructed, leading from sidings on the Cromford and High Peak Railway to an area of quarrying to the east. Only a small un-named building is depicted. (4) A much more extensive area of quarrying is shown on the 3rd ed. OS map, associated with a large building and five circular structures, presumably brickkilns, and named as 'Harboro' Brick Works'. (5)
- <1> SDR9599 Index: NDAT. 0463. 0463.
- <2> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Brickworks, Harboro Rocks.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXIII.16.
- <4> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXIII.16, 1899.
- <5> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). Sheet XXXIII.16.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2417 5506 (367m by 238m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BRASSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 27 2017 3:53PM