Monument record MDR3051 - Grange and Field System, 200m South of Roystone Grange Farm, Ballidon
Type and Period (3)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GRANGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
There is little left today of medieval granges, either in remains or documentary references, although the word 'grange; s common on maps of Derbyshire. Generally, although, not exclusively, the name is attached to a farmhouse. (1). Roystone Grange includes remains of medieval grange, associated field system, including foundations of contemporary enclosure walls. The grange was excavated in the 1980s: the first phase dates to late 12th century or early 13th century. The main building appears to have been an aisled structure c.15 by 10m with drystone walls of which remains stand above the foundation level. A second building to the north is probably contemporary. A further, smaller building was added during the 13th century to the south. Remains of a stairway indicate it was at least two storeys high. After a relatively short time the building was abandoned. The site was abandoned by the end of the 13th century. Settlement in the valley thereafter concentrated on higher, drier ground. The valley may have been prone to flooding. After the dissolution of the monasteries the grange continued as a farm; the remains of buildings and domestic enclosures of this period can be seen as upstanding earthworks to the north of the earlier phase. This part has not been excavated although sampling has produced pottery confirming the dating. During the 18th century the present farmhouse was constructed a few meters to the north [SMR 960]. To the east of the domestic sites is an enclosed field with ridge and furrow. Research suggests the two medieval fields represented here were used for arable. (2). The Cistercian grange (centred on SK 20055660) belonged to Garendon Abbey, Leicestershire, and held an estate of c.400 enclosed acres. Three buildings were excavated: the central one, measuring 10 by 10 metres extended to 17 by 10 metres, was aisled with a central hearth, and may have provided accommodation for monks and stock. On either side were the Grange ?farmhouse and a possible stock house. Pottery covers the period from the late 12th to 14th century, and includes possible dairy pans. The grange appears to have declined with the climatic change in the 14th century, as its valley bottom location became increasingly damp. (3-5). Site monitoring has been carried out. See form for details. (6)
- <1> SDR904 Article in serial: Allen, J W. 1956. 'Granges', The Derbyshire Countryside. Vol. 21 (6), pp 24-25.
- <2> SDR633 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1998. Scheduling Notification. 29830. 29830. Cat. No.: 412.
- <3> SDR4652 Article in serial: Hodges, R, Poulter, M & Wildgoose, M. 1982. 'The Medieval Grange at Roystone Grange' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 102.
- <4> SDR7214 Bibliographic reference: Hodges, R (University of Sheffield). 1991. Wall-to-Wall History: The Story of Roystone Grange.
- <5> SDR18335 Bibliographic reference: Hodges, R (University of Sheffield). 1991. Notes on the Medieval Archaeology of the White Peak. 111 - 121.
- <6> SDR22242 Unpublished document: Marriott, J (PDNPA). 2011. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Medieval Grange and Field system 200m South.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2008 5660 (223m by 243m) (Multiple Site Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 12 2014 2:29PM