Monument record MDR3056 - Round barrow called Round Low, south of Pearsons Farm, Hopton
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- None recorded
SK 256 554 Hopton - an unmarked barrow. (1) Round Low is a barrow excavated by Bateman in July 1848. A cremation was found near the centre, as were flint flakes and potsherds. (2) This alleged barrow is situated at SK 2572 5541 and has now been now covered with a stand of trees. Surveyed at 1/2500. It conforms on the whole to the canons of a bell barrow, and is sited in a high and prominent position. The mound is well defined, flat topped (with a slight central depression) and is under grass. It stands in an enclosed copse, the walls of which have circumscribed its base, and is now tree covered. This latter factor is the only cause for supposing that the mound may not have been constructed for funerary purposes, but for the modern function as a landscaped tree mound. No information was obtained from the owner who stated that the mound was unnamed. (3) No change. (4) This may be the barrow excavated by Bateman. (5) Barnatt identifies this site as Round Low. It is 14m in length, 13m in breadth and 1.1m in height. It is located on the east end of a broad ridge. It appears to be largely intact, except for a small pit in the centre and plough damage to the south. There are two mature trees at the site; all that remains of what was probably a larger stand. The plough damage pre-dates these trees. The barrow stands on a low platform, which is likely to be the product of ploughing around the barrow, rather than being an original feature. (6)
- <1> SDR8218 Correspondence: Lomas, J. 1959. Letter regarding monuments in Ashleyhay and Hopton, 29th December 1959.
- <2> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p 37.
- <3> SDR6432 Personal Observation: F1 RL 16-NOV-62.
- <4> SDR6534 Personal Observation: 11-MAY-66. F2 BHS.
- <5> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 63.
- <6> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:23.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2572 5542 (31m by 32m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HOPTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM