Building record MDR3065 - St James' Church, Church Street, Bonsall
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Victorian - 1200 AD to 1863 AD)
The Church of St James is an ancient embattled edifice, situated on a shelving rock above the dale, overlooking the village. It comprises a lengthy chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and tower surmounted by an elegant octagonal spire, containing six bells. The fabric was thoroughly restored and enlarged in 1863. As much of the old edifice as possible has been preserved, and no ancient feature has been destroyed that was capable of retention. The pillars of the aisles show two periods of erection; those of the south aisle are quatrefoil, and those of the north are octagonal. The ancient octagonal font stands under the tower archway. Two stone coffins and other memorials of early sculpture were found during the work of restoration. (1) St. James's Church, Bonsall has a Perpendicular west tower, with a probable 13th century chancel and south arcade. (2) The church is in normal use (1966). Above the altar in the south aisle is the head of a churchyard cross. (3) This church dates to the 13th and 14th centuries. It is cruciform in plan, with a 14th century tower and spire. It was restored in 1863. (6) At least one of the bells in St James' Church is of historical significance. It dates to 1731 and was founded by John Halton of South Wingfield, a rare recorded founder. (7)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 326.
- <2> SDR190 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p 65.
- <3> SDR6082 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 11-MAY-66.
- <4> SDR12290 Index: Ordnance Survey (OS). SK 25 NE 13. SK 25 NE 13.
- <5> SDR9817 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 1479. 1479.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 429237.
- <7> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2799 5813 (30m by 23m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BONSALL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM