Monument record MDR3066 - Remains of strip lynchets, Horse Dale, Bonsall
Type and Period (1)
- STRIP LYNCHET (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Lynchets are conspicuous at Horse Dale by Bonsal. (1). [Centred SK 2662 5803]. These lynchets may be cultivation terraces (but they face north-east). (2). A system of sinuous medieval strip lynchets bordering enclosed hill-top strip fields. The lynchets average 0.7 metres in height and the terraces ten metres in width. Most of the lynchet features have been mutilated by later lead mining activities and are now in poor condition. (3). Authority 3 is correct. (4). Site threat - exploration for and subsequent extraction of fluorspar and associated minerals. (6).
- <1> SDR7900 Article in serial: Young, W. 1928-1929. 'A note on lynchets in Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 50. p99.
- <2> SDR774 Aerial Photograph: 1950. A.P's 541/551/3117-8, 4.6.50.
- <3> SDR6431 Personal Observation: 15-NOV-1962. F1 RL.
- <4> SDR6534 Personal Observation: 11-MAY-66. F2 BHS.
- <5> SDR9801 Index: NDAT. 1445. 1445.
- <6> SDR12683 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). K Smith (Peak Park Joint Planning Board) personal communication. 6.10.1992.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2658 5802 (296m by 174m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BONSALL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 4 2007 3:04PM