A Roman enamelled bronze brooch was found in October 1857 by William Knowles, when taking up an old fence in his field near to Staley, in the parish of Bonsall. In 1890 it came into the collection of William Bernrose. (1) William Knowles owned and occupied three fields at Staley in 1848, Nos. 598, 628 and 629 on the Tithe Map of 1848 (Area SK 2765 5755). Since fields 628 and 629 adjoined and are shown divided by a fence on the Tithe Map, but not on the present 6", it is possible that the fence referred to by Bernrose was at SK 2774 5753. (2)
Article in serial: Bowles, C. 1909. 'Roman enamelled brooch', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 31, p224, illust..
Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1474.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 2774 5753 (point) (Centred on)
BONSALL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 28 2011 10:49AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.