Monument record MDR3107 - Earthworks and possible farmstead, Cotterhole Quarry, Bonsall
Type and Period (4)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- LYNCHET (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FARMSTEAD ? (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Series of field banks and a farmstead complex identified by L. H. Butcher. The Ordnance Survey only records one 200 metre long stone bank. The area was presumably associated with that of SMR 9613 to the west and has now been fragmented by spar extraction. These earthworks may be prehistoric enclosures and linear herding banks for a complex. 10 sherds of Romano-British pottery (1 Samian ware, 2 grey imported ware, 5 Derbyshire ware, 2 sandy ware). (1) SK 267569: Field banks and farmstead complex. (Listed under Roman). (2) Centred SK 26735691 is a single low bank with stone content, oriented north-east to south-west and about 200 metres in length. No farm complex was seen, and no possible Roman association was determined. (3) Bonsall Wood, SK 263568-268570 [grid ref includes SMR 9613]. A complex site situated above Bonsall Wood and Hollow Church Way. Much of the field system has been obliterated by clearance and lead mining. [See SMR 9614 for the western section] The domestic site is situated to the east on and just below the shelf and forms a series of terraced/revetted enclosures and house platforms. The upper domestic platforms are surrounded by a larger enclosing bank and pottery of a 2nd-3rd century date has been found. To the north of these domestic features are what appear to have been other large enclosures or fields. (4) A series of stony and earthen banks, wall footings, a lynchet and a rectangular enclosure which may make up a possible Romano-British farmstead with enclosures and fields. (5)
- <1> SDR9800 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 1444. 1444.
- <2> SDR5669 Article in serial: Butcher, L H & James, C. 1962. East Midland Archaeology Bulletin. Vol. 5, No. 5.
- <3> SDR6082 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 11-MAY-66.
- <4> SDR19413 Article in serial: Makepeace, G. 1998. 'Romano-British rural settlements in the Peak District and north-east Staffordshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 118, pp 95-138.
- <5> SDR20127 Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 1998. Leys Farm, Bonsall and Ible, Derbyshire, archaeological survey 1998. p19, illus, feature 43.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 267 569 (264m by 233m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BONSALL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM