Slinter Wood Cottage is a Grade II listed building. The building is a simple two-storeyed cottage of stone rubble that was constructed c. 1760 and was originally Richard Arkwright's sawmill [original Listed Building Record Card has a note written next to sawmill with bobbin mill written below] having a later tiled roof. To the left of the south side is a stone enclosure with a sheet tin roof, which contains a small disused undershot wheel that has open wooden spoons. The cottage is attractively situated in a wooded hollow below the road, dominated by Slynn Tor. (1)
A small late 18th century lead smelting works probably for lead slag that was later a saw mill, with the remains of a 20th century waterwheel. (2, 3)
Late 19th century OS maps show the site as a 'Saw Mill' and 'Timber Yard'. (4, 5)
A two storey cottage with a disused undershot waterwheel in an attached wheelhouse. Believed to date from c. 1760 and may have produced bobbins for the Arkwright Mills. (6)
The mill was originally constructed as a lead slag mill associated with a lead smelting enterprise higher up the valley. It was later converted to wood turning and produced bobbins and pulleys for the cotton mills. It is set in an area of great natural beauty dominated by Slinter Tor. The adjacent woodland has been designated an SSSI and an SAC. The structure still retains a small breast-shot wheel with wooden buckets. The cottage is in the course of renovation by the Arkwright Society. (7)
The Arkwright Society has completed renovation work on Slinter Cottage in the Via Gellia, making a holiday cottage on the first floor, with an information centre on the ground floor. Built as a watermill in about 1800, Slinter Cottage stands at the northern end of the World Heritage Site, next to the Bonsall Brook. Initially used to process lead slag, the building was later converted to making bobbins and in its last industrial phase was a saw mill. It became part of the Arkwright estate during the 19th century and now belongs to the Arkwright Society. (8)
Please note that there is an erroneous reference to surviving flues at this site by Authority 2. It was confirmed in 2016 that these flues are, in fact, situated at Meerbrook Cupola (SMR 15548). The garden at Slinter Cottage down to the brook is composed almost wholly of run slag, of the type normal in a slag mill, which re-treats the slag of either cupolas or the earlier ore-hearth type smelters. There are definitely no visible or even suspected flues at this location. (2, 9)
Having done much research on the mills served by Bonsall Brook, D Buxton believes that the mill was built as a slag mill by George Evans of Bonsall at some time after 1777, when he bought the rights on the brook, and probably after c. 1800, the date the RCHME gives for Dunsley Mill [see SMR 29727]. It is listed in his Estate in 1809, the year after his death. It worked in conjunction with the cupola he had built earlier on what is now the Via Gellia Mill site. It appears as a slag mill on Sanderson's map of 1835. It was a wood turning mill according to the Bonsall Tithe map of 1846 and a directory of 1857 recorded is as a saw mill and lace card manufactory. It fell out of use in the early 20th century. The open upper floor was divided with wooden-framed partitions to make living accommodation during World War Two. (10)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 3/2857/080.
Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Smelting works.
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 11.10.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXIV - 6.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXIV - 6, 1899.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales. p 16.
Unpublished document: Derwent Valley Mills (DVM) Nomination Steering Panel. 2000. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage List Nomination Document. p 53.
Bibliographic reference: 2007. World Heritage News from the Derwent Valley Mills, Issue Seven. p 7.
Correspondence: Willies, L. 2016. Email regarding Slinter Cottage, received by HER Officer 15/11/2017. Email.
Correspondence: Buxton, D. 2016. Email regarding Slinter Cottage, received by HER Officer 2016-11-01. Email.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2866 5715 (19m by 13m)
BONSALL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.