Monument record MDR3198 - Standing stone and sites of associated stones, Bradbourne

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Standing stone a quarter of a mile north of Bradbourne Church, 5' 6" high. C.1875 two others were removed which stood nearly south and nearly east of the one remaining, and each, perhaps, 150 yards away. (1) [SK 2087 5312] Standing stone, visited 15.7.1932. Lat. 53o 4' 29" long 1o 41' 17" W. Lies immediately to the east of a small pond formed by the junction of two streams, the field occupying most of the space between them. (2) The surviving stone is a much weathered flat slab at SK 20915307 tapering to the top and not of apparent archaeological interest. An old, nearby footbridge utilises stone slabs, possibly the remains of the other two standing stones. (3)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Article in serial: Matthews, T. 1915. 'Some menhirs', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 37. p57-8.
  • <2> Unpublished document: C.W. Phillips. 1932. Folio of Typescript Notes.
  • <3> Personal Observation: F1 FRH 06-MAY-66.
  • <4> Index: OS. SK 25 SW 12. SK 25 SW 12.
  • <5> Index: NDAT. 0366. 0366.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 2093 5304 (50m by 70m) (Centred on)
Civil Parish BRADBOURNE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR851

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 20 2015 1:17PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.