Monument record MDR320 - Possible Roman settlement, Holker Road, Buxton

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Excavation in 1903 "on the site of the new road, known as Holker Road" by Mr Salt and his son uncovered Samian ware, Roman glass, fragments of bronze and iron, charred bones and also an area of 30 feet by 10 feet rudely paved with blocks of limestone. (1) Following the finding of a piece of Roman pottery during the construction of Holker Road, Micah Salt undertook a week's excavation in March 1903. Finds included about 400 pieces of broken Roman pottery (including Samian), several pieces of Mortaria, some Roman glass, fragments of bronze, iron and lead, a number of animal bones, pieces of gritstone, some of which were 'evidently used for grinding corn in Mortaria', a quantity of charcoal and a few flint flakes. As work on the road continued, it was noted that 'relics of the Roman influence are continually found'. By May 1903 a pavement of about 100 sq yds had been uncovered on the crest of the hill. Rough undressed pieces of limestone were neatly packed and fitted evenly, so as to form an even surface. Interspersed with these stones were pieces of coarse gritstones and millstone grit. Evidence of at least three hearths were found 'laid upon the said pavement at about 12ft apart'. Scatter about were fragments of Samian and other pottery, broken Roman tiles and one barbed flint arrowhead. Several Roman coins were also found. Test holes were cut about 70yds away from the excavators and the same kind of relics were found. (2) The construction of Holker Road, Silverlands, has brought to light many Roman antiquities. Structural remains are few, consisting of an area of 30 by 30 feet, floored with undressed local limestone, some tiles and bricks indicative of a building not far off, and three gritstone hearths about 5ft in diameter. Smaller objects abound, including an embossed Samian bowl. (3) An archaeological watching brief undertaken in 2015 in the area reveled no archaeological features, buried surfaces or Roman remains were identified. Two 20th century pottery sherds were recovered. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Article in serial: Turner, W. 1903. 'Notes on old Buxton and district', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 25, pp 159-163. note, p 163.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Turner, W. 1904. 'Roman Relics Found at Buxton', The Reliquary. Volume 10, pp 54-56.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Haverfield, F. 1905. 'Romano-British Derbyshire', in Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Vol 1. p 225.
  • <4> Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 0553. 3317, 0548.
  • <5> Unpublished document: McLellan, E (ARS). 2015. An archaeological watching brief, 23 Holker Road, Buxton, Derbyshire.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 0615 7345 (93m by 122m) (Centre)
Civil Parish BUXTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR343
  • EDR4021

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 16 2020 1:44AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.