Monument record MDR3208 - Round Low Barrow, Manystones Lane, Brassington
Type and Period (2)
- BOWL BARROW (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- CREMATION (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
A barrow called Round Low, near Harborough Rocks, on Hopton Moor was opened on 5th July, 1948. It proved to have been previously opened but calcined bones and flints were found in a coarse urn. (1) A mound, located at SK 23895490, stands in an area of quarry spoil but its round, rather conical form, with top hollowed out (probably from an excavation) makes it almost certainly a barrow and may well be that referred to by authority 1. Surveyed at 1/2500. "Round Low" is unknown locally. (2) This probable bowl barrow is 1m high from the west and 1.6m from downslope to the south-east. There is a possibility that this site was excavated by Bateman in 1848 but it seems more likely that the barrow he described and excavated was at SK25725541 [SMR 8324]. The centre has had a small pit dug and upcast placed round - erosion here has exposed earth with pebbles. There is a second small pit to the south. A small quarry has clipped the mound edge to the north. A low bank of unknown age (possibly prehistoric) abuts the mound to the north-west. Upcast from the southern pit may have disturbed the barrow shape to the south - the original diameter may well have been c. 16.5 all round. Although the mound looks very much like a barrow, there is much lead mining in the vicinity and the possibility that it is shaft spoil cannot be fully discounted. Scheduled (5)
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p37.
- <2> SDR6314 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 16-JUN-66.
- <3> SDR9628 Index: NDAT. 0495. 0495.
- <4> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:22.
- <5> SDR18433 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1992. Scheduling Notification. 13330. Cat. No.: 293.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2388 5490 (17m by 17m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BRASSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 19 2016 11:44AM