[Area SK 283 542] Standing Stone ('The Eastward Stone') about half a mile a little to the north of east of 'The Westward Stone' to the north of the Wirksworth to Brassington road. It measures 2' x 2' x 8' high. (1)
Dale Quarry (disused in 1955) is once again active and has been worked over most of the indicated area. The owner of the adjacent farm since 1939 has no knowledge of any standing stone in the recently excavated area. (2)
Article in serial: Matthews, T. 1915. 'Some menhirs', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 37. p. 57 photos.
Personal Observation: F1 BHS 04-MAY-66.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 283 542 (100m by 100m) (Centre)
WIRKSWORTH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 14 2017 4:41PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.