Monument record MDR3355 - Shrinkage of medieval village, Carsington
Type and Period (1)
- SHRUNKEN VILLAGE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Building complex on vacant site in village of Carsington (listed under Medieval and Modern). (1) Centred SK 25225332 is a field containing banked enclosures and other amorphous disturbance indicative of shrinkage. (2) The earthworks are clearly visible on an aerial photograph taken in 1989. (4) This field is divided by a prominent earthwork bank that probably was a hedge until quite recently. There are other earthworks - some very prominent - that enclose smaller areas within which platform-like, level areas can be seen. Associated with SMR 3245, earthworks further to the north-west. (5)
- <1> SDR5676 Article in serial: Makepeace, G (East Midlands Committee of Field Archaeologists). 1962. East Midlands Archaeological Bulletin, 1962.
- <2> SDR6057 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 04-MAY-66.
- <3> SDR9648 Index: NDAT. 0577. 0577.
- <4> SDR19704 Aerial Photograph: Jones, Barri. 1989. Series of aerial photographs (in colour). SK 2453, no. 5/102.
- <5> SDR19177 Personal Observation: Myers, A. Site visit or other evidence. Site visit, 25/2/2003.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2519 5329 (130m by 113m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CARSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 6 2015 2:54PM