Find Spot record MDR3388 - Macehead and hammerstones, Griffe Grange, Hopton
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- None recorded
A quartzite pebble macehead with an hour-glass perforation was found circa 1963 by Dr. T.D. Ford 200 yards west of the Magnesium Works, when topsoil was being removed prior to a quarry extension. Now in Derby Museum. D Vallance has 3 hammerstones found in the vicinity at about the same time. (1, 2) The macehead is a small specimen, 3½ inches in length and 9½ oz in weight. The neck of the aperture shows a great deal of wear, but the bruising at the ends of the pebble is slight. Other measurements are width 2¼ inches, thickness 1½ inches, crater (round) 1 inch, neck (round) ½ inch. The Hopton find appears to be the only one in the Peak District, where pebbles are rare except that pebbles derived from the Bunter beds are found in silica sand pits around Brassington and Friden. The Hopton macehead was found only half a mile from the nearest silica sand pit and thus may have been made, used and lost in the Brassington area. (3)
- <1> SDR9754 Index: NDAT. 1362. 1362.
- <2> SDR5721 Bibliographic reference: East Midlands Committee of Field Archaeologists. 1962. East Midlands Archaeological Bulletin, 1962. No. 5. p 4.
- <3> SDR7914 Article in serial: Ford, T & Hughes, R. 1963. 'Two perforated quartzite maceheads from Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 83, pp 102-103.
- <4> SDR6059 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 06-JUN-66.
- <5> SDR13580 Article in serial: Roe, F and Radley, J. 1967. 'Pebble mace-heads with hour-glass perforations from Yorks, Notts & Derbys', Yorkshire Archaeology Journal. Volume 42.
- <6> SDR16368 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J J (ed). 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic Sites in England and Wales: Council for British Archaeology (CBA) Research Report 20. p 53.
|Grid reference||SK 255 547 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HOPTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2015 3:35PM