Monument record MDR3464 - Tumuli(s) and (?sites of 2 others)
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
'A' [SK 2338 6854] TUMULUS [O.E.] 'B' [SK 2363 6848] TUMULUS [O.E.] 'C' [SK 2397 6830] TUMULUS [O.E.] 'D' [SK 2414 6806] TUMULUS [O.E.] 'E' [SK 2446 6763] TUMULUS [O.E.] (1) Four of the mutilated tumuli on Calton Pasture, near Chatsworth, of which there are at least seven, were examined 2.5.1850. Two contained cists with cremations, the third "connected with some earthern ridges" had been pillaged, and the fourth a bowl-shaped cairn, also contained a cremation. About 1787(3) or 1779(4) a barrow "at the southern extremity of the earthwork at Calton" was opened and an urn was found covered by a stone. (2-4) Three round barrows on Calton Pastures. Scheduled (5) Many barrows or lead mines visible on Calton Pastures Centred SK 240 683 (6) Only 5 tumuli are now evident, as published in entry 1. All are grassed over. 'A' Slight central mutilation. 'B' Has been excavated to 0.4m. below present ground level, large stones are visible in the structure but earth predominates. 'C' There has been a central excavation to 0.6m. below the top of the mound, natural ground level was not found. 'D' Has been bisected by a major trench which achieves a max. depth of 1.2m. below the top of the mound. 'E' Mutilated by excavation. The "earthen ridges" refer to old field banks adjacent to 'C'. Published surveys 'A','B','D','E', correct. 'C' Resurveyed at 1/2,500. (7) Additional references. (8)(9)
- <1> SDR11794 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p64-5.
- <3> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p 22.
- <4> SDR1528 Article in serial: Pegge, Reverend S. 1792. Archaeologia, Volume 10. Volume 10. p30.
- <5> SDR721 Scheduling record: Ministry of Works. 1961. Ancient Monuments of England and Wales. 23253.
- <6> SDR801 Aerial Photograph: 1950.
- <7> SDR6249 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 15-NOV-66.
- <8> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p32-3.
- <9> SDR4567 Article in serial: Barnatt, J (University of Sheffield) & Reeder, P. 1982. 'Prehistoric rock art in the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 102, pp 33-44. 42.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24 68 (1000m by 1000m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||EDENSOR, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 1 2013 11:12AM