Monument record MDR3470 - 18thC Pastoral earthworks
Type and Period (1)
- POUND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
[Centred SK 2386 6822] Earthworks and enclosures of unknown age or use. (1) The earthworks represent obsolete field boundaries. (2) Centred to approx. SK 240685 is a vast area of early fields, associated tracks, roads, crofts and ponds that cover almost the whole of Calton Pastures. The network dates from the 18th.c. enclosure since when - as the name implies - the whole has been utilised for pastoral farming. There is no surface indications of works pre-dating the complex other than the tumuli of SK 26 NW 1. (3) Photographic record. (5)
- <1> SDR4056 Unpublished document: Bramwell, D. 1950. Corr 6".
- <2> SDR6095 Bibliographic reference: F1 BHS 15-NOV-66.
- <3> SDR6568 Bibliographic reference: F2 FDC 15-NOV-66.
- <4> SDR9680 Index: NDAT. 0842. 0842.
- <5> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 5108.1-4.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2386 6822 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||EDENSOR, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 24 2013 2:38PM