Monument record MDR3480 - Inscribed Roman altar, Haddon Hall
Type and Period (1)
- ALTAR (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
An inscribed Roman altar was dug up in the latter part of the 17th century 'in the grounds belonging to Haddon House' - according to local belief on the west bank of the Derwent near the present high road. It was taken to Haddon [Hall] and has been there ever since. (1) The altar is dedicated to Mars and stands in the entrance porch to the Banqueting Hall at Haddon. (2) Found near the Wye, not the Derwent, probably near SK 227674. (3) Dimensions: H. 46 inches B. 19 inches. (5) Photographic record. (6)
- <1> SDR15969 Bibliographic reference: V.C.H. Derby 1 1905 252 (F Haverfield).
- <2> SDR6985 Bibliographic reference: Haddon Hall Guide 1964 8-9 (Illus).
- <3> SDR6126 Bibliographic reference: F1 BHS 24-FEB-66.
- <4> SDR12407 Index: OS. SK 26 NW 17. SK 26 NW 17.
- <5> SDR9844 Index: NDAT. 1576. 1576.
- <6> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 10416.1-4.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 227 674 (100m by 100m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||NETHER HADDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 25 2015 6:08PM