Monument record MDR3484 - Bowl Barrow on Haddon Fields, Nether Haddon
Type and Period (2)
- BURIAL (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2172 6617] Tumulus [O.E.] (1) The mound has been ploughed-over, and may have had the SE side removed previously, which would explain the distinctly oval plan today. The A barrow on Haddon Field, near Bakewell, about 16 yards diameter original diameter may have been c. 15m. The excavations by Bateman and 4 ft. high was opened 20.8.1860, the only interment being a given in (2-3) were not certaily at this barrow. (7) Crouched skeleton with an 'A' beaker, a flint-arrowhead, a "mesh rule" and a bronze awl. (2-3) Scheduled. (4) Published 25" survey correct. (5) Additional reference. (6) The mound has been ploughed over, and may have had the SE side removed previously, which would explain the distinctly oval plan today. The original diameter may have been c. 15m. The excavations by Bateman given in (2-3) above were not certainly at this barrow. (16) Site monitoring has been carried out. See record for details. (17)
- <1> SDR11764 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p106-7.
- <3> SDR227 Bibliographic reference: Abercromby, J. 1912. Bronze Age Pottery.
- <4> SDR744 Scheduling record: Ministry of Works. 1965. Ancient Monuments of England and Wales. 13361.
- <5> SDR6112 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 21-FEB-66.
- <6> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p77.
- <7> SDR9841 Index: NDAT. 1572. 1572.
- <8> SDR12411 Index: OS. SK 26 NW 21. SK 26 NW 21.
- <9> SDR13202 Article in serial: PPS Vol. 32 1966.
- <10> SDR3153 Bibliographic reference: Bateman,T.
- <11> SDR2222 Artifact:
- <12> SDR2204 Artifact:
- <13> SDR2182 Artifact:
- <14> SDR3984 Bibliographic reference: Clarke, D L.
- <15> SDR6834 Article in serial: Fowler, M. 1955. 'The Transition from the late Neolithic to the Early Bronze Age', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 75, pp 77-112.
- <16> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 6:6.
- <17> SDR22194 Unpublished document: Wheal, S (PDNPA). 2009. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Bowl Barrow on Haddon Fields.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2172 6617 (20m by 21m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||NETHER HADDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2014 9:11AM