Monument record MDR3488 - Former medieval deer park, Haddon
Type and Period (1)
- DEER PARK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1438 AD)
- None recorded
Haddon Hall was formerly surrounded by a park, enclosed with pales which in 1637 contained 597 head of deer. (1) A licence to impark was granted in 1330. (2) It was disparked c. 1770. (3) The boundaries of the park were not traced. No earthen pale was seen . (4) The polygon for this record shows the extent of the former medieval deer park at Haddon, as suggested by Wiltshire and Woore . They believe it likely that the medieval deer park lay on the east side of the river, as Haddon Registered Park and Garden does today [see also SMR 10424]. During their research, Wiltshire and Woore discovered a documentary reference dating to 1438 that refers to a park at Haddon. (9)
- <1> SDR7801 Article in serial: Carrington, W. 1900. 'Haddon: The Hall, The Manor, and its Lords', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 6. pp 1-30.
- <2> SDR1509 Article in serial: Faulkner, P. A. 1961. 1961 Arch J.
- <3> SDR1501 Article in serial: King, E. 1782. 'Sequel to the observations on ancient castles', Archaeologia. Volume 6, pp 231-375. p 359.
- <4> SDR6126 Bibliographic reference: F1 BHS 24-FEB-66.
- <5> SDR12414 Index: OS. SK 26 NW 25. SK 26 NW 25.
- <6> SDR10438 Index: NDAT. 3909. 3909.
- <7> SDR6680 Bibliographic reference: Farey, J. 1811-17. A General View of the Agriculture and Minerals of Derbyshire.
- <8> SDR5940 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part I. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXVII.. p 106.
- <9> SDR20777 Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp 80-1.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24 66 (2012m by 1517m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||NETHER HADDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 16 2017 3:57PM