Building record MDR3518 - All Saints Church, Bakewell
Type and Period (2)
A typical Derbyshire church, low and embattled with a crossing tower and spire. The west front is Norman, but with a 15th century window incorporating 19th century tracery. The first bay of the north and south arcades is Norman, the rest is probably 14th century, though the arcades were rebuilt 1841 to 1852. The south transept was added circa 1220 to 1240 and completely re-built in 1841 to 1852. It is longer than the north transept. The chancel is late 13th century, as is its south doorway, the Sedilia and Piscina and the north and south doorways into the Nave. The crossing tower is 13th century in its lowest stages. Above this, the octagonal stage with battlements and spire was built circa 1340 and rebuilt 1841 to 1852. The south porch, clestory and battlements are perpendicular. Within the churchyard stands a well preserved Saxon Cross dating from the early 9th century. (1) The present church is mainly Norman with mid 19th century rebuilds. It almost certainly overlies a Saxon predecessor. It incorporates an apparently Saxon characteristic; a crossing that is broader than the main body of the four arms of the church. This is foreign to Norman practice but found in several Norman churches built around a Saxon core, e.g. Repton Stow. (2) Photographic record. (6, 7)
- <1> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. pp 71-74.
- <2> SDR15167 Bibliographic reference: Taylor, H M and Taylor, J. 1965. Anglo-Saxon Architecture.
- <3> SDR7574 Article in serial: Routh, T. 1937. 'A corpus of the pre-Conquest carved stones of Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 58, pp 1-46. pp 7-17.
- <4> SDR13513 Bibliographic reference: Rhodes. Peak Scenery.
- <5> SDR9458 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0137. 0137.
- <6> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 825.1, 825.2.1-2.95.
- <7> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 425.11-36, 426.1-11, 427.29a-36a, 428.1-36, 430.1-37, 419.11-20.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2155 6847 (47m by 37m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2017 12:42PM