Marble quarry at Blackstone Hollow. Black Marble was processed in a marble works in Bakewell east of the river and downstream from Bakewell Bridge. The stone was also worked at a mill on the River Wye near Bakewell bridge, SK 220 686. (1,2).
A quarry follows the steep daleside with four discrete working faces, the largest to the west, which is up to about 5m high. There is a modern tip to the east, which is gradually obscuring the working/dressing areas. The quarry is cut into thinly bedded limestone, some beds of which are dark grey in colour. Low but extensive heaps of dressing waste to the south suggest this was the desired product and may well have been worked on as ornamental stone. The quarry and limekilns are shown on the 1879 Ordnance Survey map as an 'old quarry'. The 1840 Ordnance Survey map records the site as a 'Blackstone Quarry', presumably it was active at this date. This and the extant dressing waste show the quarry produced a stone similar or identical in character to Ashford Black marble. This works had been in existence before 1742. Before the partial backfilling of the eastern quarry pit a short mine adit with evidence of chert mining was visible at its base (Ford, T., Pers. Comm.). This may be the site of the documented chert mine at Deep Dale Wood. (3).
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 200 678 (298m by 162m) (Approximate)
BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 12 2016 3:39PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.