(Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1850 AD)
Loading documents & images
A tannery that formerly existed between Matlock Street and Butts Road. (1, 2).
In 1824 there is a reference to John and George Holmes of Matlock Street. Each is referred to as 'tanner and glazier'. (3)
In the Poor Rate Valuation of 1847 the premises were described as 'tanyard and orchard with 50 vats, bark shed next the street [with a 43 ft frontage], bark shed with gateway, leather house, counting house, lean-to leather house, bark shed next the mill, bark mill, old bark mill'. Dimensions for these buildings are given. (4)
The tannery was supposedly bought by J Taylor in 1849, who then built the existing buildings. (5)
Unpublished document: Mr Allcock's Notes: Extracts from the Minutes of the Local Board - held in the Old House Museum, Bakewell.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 2174 6838 (point) (Approximate)
BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2017 12:43PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.