Progress works, on the west side of the Buxton Road. It was constructed by Arkwright as an inn at the time the road was cut through at this point. The building was later used by Chesterfield Brewery as a store in the First World War. It later became Roger's knitwear factory and is now [1971?] disused. (1,2).
Constructed in c.1820 (3) and later known as the New Inn. In 1847, in addition to the inn there was a brewhouse and chamber, stables, clubroom, shed, weighing machine and butcher's shop (4). The inn appears to have been closed sometime between 1864 and 1875 (5). The weighing machine was moved to the area near the Queen's Arms (at the time, the Durham Ox) and the resulting excavation filled in in March 1867 (6). By the 1990s the building had been converted into flats (7).
Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District. p189.
Unpublished document: DOE Bakewell 1/110.
Unpublished document: 1847. Bakewell Poor Rate Valuation. Nos 1010 and 1011.
Unpublished document: Knighton, M L. 1977. 'Arkwright's Inn', Bakewell Miscellary. pp 15-17.
Unpublished document: Mr Allcock's Notes: Extracts from the Minutes of the Local Board - held in the Old House Museum, Bakewell.
Personal Observation: Stroud, G. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc.. 17/05/1995.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 216 687 (34m by 36m) (Approximate)
BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2017 12:43PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.