Building record MDR3530 - Progress Works, Buxton Road, Bakewell
Type and Period (5)
- INN (Georgian to Victorian - 1820 AD to 1875 AD)
- BREWHOUSE (Georgian to Victorian - 1820 AD to 1875 AD)
- STABLE (Georgian to Victorian - 1820 AD to 1875 AD)
- SHOP (Georgian to Victorian - 1820 AD to 1875 AD)
- WEIGHING MACHINE (Georgian to Victorian - 1820 AD to 1875 AD)
- None recorded
Progress works, on the west side of the Buxton Road. It was constructed by Arkwright as an inn at the time the road was cut through at this point. The building was later used by Chesterfield Brewery as a store in the First World War. It later became Roger's knitwear factory and is now [1971?] disused. (1,2). Constructed in c.1820 (3) and later known as the New Inn. In 1847, in addition to the inn there was a brewhouse and chamber, stables, clubroom, shed, weighing machine and butcher's shop (4). The inn appears to have been closed sometime between 1864 and 1875 (5). The weighing machine was moved to the area near the Queen's Arms (at the time, the Durham Ox) and the resulting excavation filled in in March 1867 (6). By the 1990s the building had been converted into flats (7).
- <1> SDR9475 Index: NDAT. 0156. 0156.
- <2> SDR6994 Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District. p189.
- <3> SDR20285 Unpublished document: DOE Bakewell 1/110.
- <4> SDR20282 Unpublished document: 1847. Bakewell Poor Rate Valuation. Nos 1010 and 1011.
- <5> SDR20283 Unpublished document: Knighton, M L. 1977. 'Arkwright's Inn', Bakewell Miscellary. pp 15-17.
- <6> SDR20284 Unpublished document: Mr Allcock's Notes: Extracts from the Minutes of the Local Board - held in the Old House Museum, Bakewell.
- <7> SDR19557 Personal Observation: Stroud, G. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc.. 17/05/1995.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 216 687 (34m by 36m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2017 12:43PM