Building record MDR3539 - Cookery Centre, Bath Street, Bakewell
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Stuart to Victorian - 1650 AD to 1900 AD)
On the north side of Bath Street, the current cookery centre is a late 17th to early 18th century structure. It is built of coursed rubble and roofed with stone slates. There are restored 3-light windows below. The ledged door has a plain lintel. (1) The Cottage is a Grade II listed house, formerly listed as the Cookery Centre), dates from the late 17th to early 18th century. It is constructed of coursed limestone with ashlar sandstone dressings and has a stone slate roof. It is two storeys high [For full description see listed building record]. (2) A map of 1799 suggests that the eastern end of the building originally extended back at right angles to the street. (3) In 1920 it was called 'The School House' and was let to the Managers of Bakewell National Schools. There was a coalhouse and WC outside. (4)
- <1> SDR10240 Index: NDAT. 3228. 3228.
- <2> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No: 1148021.
- <3> SDR21169 Map: 1799. Town of Bakewell, with holdings and tenants listed.
- <4> SDR21171 Unpublished document: 1920. Sale Catalogue of the Duke of Rutland's Estates in Bakewell (plus plan of sale lots).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2173 6861 (12m by 7m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2017 12:44PM