Situated on the south side of Bath Street this structure was built as a bath house for the Duke of Rutland, in 1697. The building is of two storeys with an attic. The fenestration consists generally of 2-light mullions; the roof has stone slates with stone gabled ends. The building contains the original bath, 33 ft by 16 ft, vaulted in 1705, and now forming the basement. It is still liberally fed from the Bath Well [see SMR 30219]. Externally there are cast iron railings to steps and there is a wrought iron former lamp bracket over the door. (1)
Haig House was formerly listed as Bath House. It is listed Grade II together with its attached steps and railings and it contains a natural spring bathing pool. It is now the Royal British Legion Club. It was built in 1697 for the Duke of Rutland. The pool was vaulted over in 1705 and there have been later additions and alterations, including early 19th century side wings. [For the full description, see the listed building record]. (2)
The bath was much used until about 1767 and was then neglected. It was restored in 1817, with two shower baths and a pump being installed. During restoration, a cold spring was discovered under the bath steps. Since finally going out of use in the 1930s, it has had a range of functions, including storage and a mushroom 'farm'. (3)
A reference in 1905 notes that 'it is no longer thought agreeable to bathe in a sort of prison vault with a reverbatory echo…'. (4)
Thee may have been buildings on the site in the medieval period; there is a reference in 1471 to a tenement with its appurtances situated between the 'font' and shops. (5)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No: 1148018.
Bibliographic reference: Allcock, C (Bakewell and District Historical Society). 1971. 'Some items on the Bath House and warm spring', Journal of the Bakewell and District Historical Society. Bulletin No. 2, July.
Bibliographic reference: Firth, J B. 1905. Highways and Byways in Derbyshire. p 259.
Bibliographic reference: Carrington, W A. 1897. The Wells of Bakewell: reprinted from The Derbyshire Times, 8.5.1897.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2173 6859 (18m by 15m) (Approximate)
BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2017 12:44PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.