Building record MDR3542 - Market Hall, Bridge Street, Bakewell
Type and Period (1)
- MARKET HALL (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
On the south side of Bridge Street, this building dates to the early 17th century. It has low 2-light mullioned windows and was originally open to the street on the north-west side, where there was an arcade of four open arches. A north-eastern extension and small gables were added in 1858, the front in the 20th century. (1) The interior stone work changes character above ground floor level and it is possible that this building was originally timber framed above the ground floor. Re-used timbers appear as window lintels etc. (2). The building is now in use as the Peak Park information centre. (3) In 1827, the building was used as the Town Hall. Later the ground floor was a wash-house (removed in 1858) and the first floor was a courtroom. In 1891 it was in use as a resturant, later a rating office, dance hall and library. (4, 5) Sometime before 1900 two shops had been inserted into the west face of the Market Hall. In the early 20th century these shops were Arthur Cresswell's refreshment rooms/greengrocery and H Turner, watchmaker (previously Charles E Hall). (6, 7)
- <1> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p. 75.
- <2> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No: 1148026.
- <3> SDR10243 Index: NDAT. 3231. 3231.
- <4> SDR21175 Bibliographic reference: Merrill, J. 1977. Bakewell.
- <5> SDR21176 Bibliographic reference: Allcock, C (Bakewell and District Historical Society). 1979. Bakewell. p 19.
- <6> SDR21177 Bibliographic reference: Brighton, T & Sauders, F. 1994. Recollections of Bakewell. p 27.
- <7> SDR21170 Article in serial: Challenger, G (Bakewell and District Historical Society). 1993. 'Bakewell's shops and businesses', Journal of the Bakewell and District Historical Society. Volume 20, pp 28-38.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2186 6857 (20m by 20m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2017 12:44PM