Excavation at the Old House Museum revealed a ditch parallel to the north wall of the building. The ditch runs along the hillslope and is akin to the Saxo-Norman tenement ditches found elsewhere in burhs. The ditch was sterile, but a hint of its date may be taken from the single sherd of Saxo-Norman pottery found on site. (1)
The ditch was found in the excavation of the floor area in 1978 to 1979 by Richard Hodges of Sheffield University. (2)
It has been suggested that the feature represents the basal plate of a timber/wattle/daub wall of the Old House which was removed when a stone wall was built in 1543. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Hodges, R, Barker, G (University of Sheffield) and Brighton, T. The Parsonage House, Bakewell. 1-30.
Article in serial: Meeke, E (Bakewell and District Historical Society). 1984. 'The building history of the Old House', Journal of the Bakewell and District Historical Society. No 11.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 21 68 (point) (Approximate)
BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2017 12:44PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.