Building record MDR3553 - The Old Cottage, No. 5 South Church Street, Bakewell
Type and Period (3)
- HOUSE (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Unknown date)
- CEMETERY ? (Unknown date)
Part of a late 17th century terrace of cottages built of coursed rubble, on the north side of Church Street. This building has been rebuilt to match No. 4 (site 874) next door. It has two windows with reproduction mullions and leaded lights. (1) Grade II listed house, built in the 17th century and altered in the 19th century. It was constructed of mixed limestone and sandstone rubble and has a stone slate roof. EXTERIOR: Two storeys high with a 2-window range, and a wing to the rear on the right. It also has a 20th century 6-panel door (the upper two panels are glazed), built in 19th century with a dressed stone surround. INTERIOR: The left room has 17th century chamfered ashlar fireplace with an iron grate. The right room, set beyond an ashlar dividing wall has a 19th century stone fireplace with a cast-iron range (range installed 1994). The upper rooms are divided by cruck-like curved principals. (2) This building was still thatched in 1920, with a WC outside. (3) Human remains were found in the early 1980s and in 1993 when works were being carried out during a kitchen refurbishment. Human remains had been found in the 1980s when the cottage had been extended. This must have been part of a churchyard. Cottage thought to be 16th century. (4)
- <1> SDR10252 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 3240. 3240.
- <2> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <3> SDR21171 Unpublished document: 1920. Sale Catalogue of the Duke of Rutland's Estates in Bakewell (plus plan of sale lots).
- <4> SDR23323 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). 1994. Personal communication regarding skeletons beneath The Old Cottage, Bakewell, January 17th, 1994.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2161 6843 (11m by 5m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2017 12:46PM