Monument record MDR3567 - Calton Pastures Round Barrow 625m WSW of Calton Houses
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
Dimensions: Dia. 22m H. 1m 1 of a number of barrows on Calton Pastures, 4 of which were excavated by T. Bateman on 02-May-1850. This barrow has been excavated to 0.6m below the present ground level in the centre. (1) There are a number of earthen banks associated with this mound which appear to relate to the C18 enclosure of this area of the pasture. (2)
- <1> SDR12399 Index: OS. SK 26 NW 1. SK 26 NW 1.
- <2> SDR9677 Index: NDAT. 0838. 0838.
- <3> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p32-3.
- <4> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p64-5.
- <5> SDR2836 Bibliographic reference: 22.
- <6> SDR1528 Article in serial: Pegge, Reverend S. 1792. Archaeologia, Volume 10. Volume 10. p30.
- <7> SDR1001 Aerial Photograph: 1951. 28-07-1951 540/568/4070-2.
- <8> SDR998 Aerial Photograph: 1950.
- <9> SDR9675 Index: NDAT. 0836. 0836.
- <10> SDR2323 Artifact: Radley. Artifact; Sheffield City Museum: Radley.
- <11> SDR9680 Index: NDAT. 0842. 0842.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2396 6831 (28m by 37m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||EDENSOR, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2013 3:09PM