Monument record MDR3568 - Calton Pastures Round Barrow, 850m south of Calton Houses
Type and Period (3)
- CREMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
Dimensions: Dia. 16m H. 1m 1 of a number of barrows on Calton Pastures, 4 of which were excavated by T. Bateman on 02-05-1850. This barrow has been mutilated by excavation. It was also ploughed over in 1954. (1) Partial excavation by Bateman revealed disturbed sandstone cist or grave with cremation and burnt lead ore. (10) Scheduled (11) This large, flat-topped barrow is 0.5m high in south and 0.7, high downslope to the north. There is a shallow dish in the centre. the site is covered in conifers and has partly been damaged by foresters vehicles. (12)
- <1> SDR12399 Index: OS. SK 26 NW 1. SK 26 NW 1.
- <2> SDR9677 Index: NDAT. 0838. 0838.
- <3> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p32-3.
- <4> SDR2868 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T 1861. Ten Years Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave-hills. 64-65.
- <6> SDR1528 Article in serial: Pegge, Reverend S. 1792. Archaeologia, Volume 10. Volume 10. p30.
- <7> SDR1174 Aerial Photograph: 1951. AP: 28-07-51 540/568/4070-2.
- <8> SDR1160 Aerial Photograph: 1950.
- <9> SDR9675 Index: NDAT. 0836. 0836.
- <10> SDR2270 Artifact: Radley. Artifact: Sheffield City Museum Radley.
- <11> SDR18497 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1994. Scheduling Notification: Calton Pastures Bowl Barrow. 23255. Cat. No.: 334.
- <12> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 31:5.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2446 6762 (20m by 23m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||EDENSOR, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2013 3:25PM