Monument record MDR3586 - Bowl barrow on Haddon fields, Nether Haddon
Type and Period (5)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CREMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- URN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
On May 31 1824, W Bateman opened 'a large tumulus, sixty feet in diameter and four feet in height, situated in Haddon field'. It had previously been disturbed by labourers in search of stone, who had discovered a 'loosely walled vault or cist' containing two human skeletons and an urn, as well as a considerable number of Roman coins. Bateman found 82 Roman coins [see SMR 10403], part of a glass vessel and some small pieces of lead ore about 3 yards from the centre of the mound. Human bones were discovered in the vault, some of which had been cremated, fragments of four urns and traces of decayed wood. (1) Samuel Mitchell describes his opening of this barrow on June 1 1824 with the assistance of Dr Ewer Colie (neither of whom are mentioned by Bateman) and notes that the barrow had been disturbed 'some years before' by the stone-getters. (2) The tumulus is a much spread mound. Published 25" survey revised. (3) This mound is 0.3m high upslope and 0.9m downslope. Its edges have been severely truncated by medieval ploughing and it is now steep-sided on three sides and sub-rectangular in plan. The centre of the mound has a large robber pit. There is no sign of the 1824 trench which must have been backfilled. The original diameter is hard to estimate but was probably in the range of 15m-20m. (6) Site monitoring has been carried out and site appears not to be under threat. (7)
- <1> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p 30.
- <2> SDR16210 Article in serial: Ward, J. 1908. 'Notes on some Derbyshire antiquities from Samuel Mitchell's memoranda', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 30, pp 155-172.
- <3> SDR6140 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 30-MAR-66.
- <4> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p258.
- <5> SDR9840 Index: NDAT. 1571. 1571.
- <6> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 6:7.
- <7> SDR22195 Unpublished document: Mason, F (PDNPA). 2008. Bowl Barrow field visit, on Haddon Fields, by PDNPA Ranger, in 2008.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2148 6535 (31m by 29m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||NETHER HADDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2014 9:25AM