Find Spot record MDR3587 - Roman coin hoard, Haddon Fields, Nether Haddon
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
A number of Roman coins were found by stone-getters in a cairn in Haddon fields in or before 1824. Excavations in 1824 revealed a further 70-80 coins some 3 meters from the centre of the mound. The coins were identified as indicating secondary interment in the barrow. (1, 2) The deposit of coins appears to be a hoard of fourth-century copper and not, as Bateman says, a secondary interment. (3) The coins ranged in date from 306-383. (4)
- <1> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p 30.
- <2> SDR16210 Article in serial: Ward, J. 1908. 'Notes on some Derbyshire antiquities from Samuel Mitchell's memoranda', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 30, pp 155-172. p 155.
- <3> SDR15994 Bibliographic reference: Haverfield, F. 1905. 'Romano-British Derbyshire', in Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Vol 1. p 258.
- <4> SDR9843 Index: NDAT. 1575. 1575.
|Grid reference||SK 2148 6534 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||NETHER HADDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 16 2015 9:10AM