This excavation by Bateman was at a barrow 'on Haddon Fields' on land owned by the Rev. Frederick and Lady Adeliza Norman. It was of 'regular convex form' and had a diameter of 14.5m and 1.2m high. While this may be SMR 10404 there is not enough data to give a positive correlation , alternatively it may have been a site which is now lost and/or destroyed. Future research into land holdings in 1860 may prove helpful. The excavations on 20-Aug-1860 showed the mound was built over a natural rise. On the old land surface near the centre was a crouched inhumation, on a layer of charred wood, accompanied by an S1 Beaker, a bone spatula, a bronze awl with a wooden handle and a flint. Elsewhere in the mound were animal teeth and prehistoric pot sherds. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p77, 81.
Bibliographic reference: Abercromby, J. 1912. Bronze Age Pottery of the British Isles.
Article in serial: Fowler, M. 1955. 'The Transition from the late Neolithic to the Early Bronze Age', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 75, pp 77-112.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 22 66 (point) (Approximate)
NETHER HADDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 13 2008 10:14AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.