(Tudor to Georgian - 1540 AD to 1718 AD)
Loading documents & images
Most of the complex is south of the River Lathkill. North of the river is the open cut, east of shining bank quarry. (1)
South of the River Lathkill there was an engine in 1718, presumably driving a waterwheel. Water was lifted from the mines and ejected to a large channel parallel to the river and east of the engine. Water overflowed to the river. Sir John Gordon was involved with the engine. Old Sough, on to Bowers Rake at c. SK 238 650, is presumably mid 17th century, predating Stanton Sough, which is at a lower level [see SMR 30327]. The Nightingale Deeds in Derbyshire Record Office refer to Mr Thornhill's sough in Bower Meadow; it is believed this relates to the older sough [see SMR 30325]. Bowers Rake was drained later by Hillcar Sough. (2, 3)
Bibliographic reference: Peak District Mines Historical Society (PDMHS). Descriptive Text on Bowers Rake. C128.
Personal Observation: Rieuwerts, J. 1990. Pers. Comm.. 1990.
Article in monograph: Rieuwerts, J. 1987. History & Gazetteer of the Lead Mine Soughs of Derbyshire. pp. 54-65, fig. 12.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2350 6500 (10m by 10m) (Centre)
STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 5 2016 4:43PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.