Monument record MDR3613 - Chert mines, Endcliffe Wood, Bakewell
Type and Period (1)
- MINE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Remains of extensive chert mines scattered within and throughout the wood. (1) The Derbyshire Peak District was an important source of chert for the Staffordshire pottery industry, suggesting that this chert mine is post medieval in date. (2) In 1859 it was stated that to the north and west of Parker Croft in which the Taddington Chert Quarry is situated (SMR 31316) was in the ownership of Mrs Williams, and in a letter dating to February 1861 from Joseph Wilson mentioned he had given up 'working Mrs. Williams quarry owing to the chert being soft and unsaleable'. Mrs. Williams' quarry was a northwardly extension of the Taddington chert quarry, this area being the orchard of Endcliff House, where the positions of two shafts and two cranes are indicated on the Frist Edition Ordnace Survey, circa 1880. The only record of mining occurring is in 1900 when the annual report of the Inspector of Mines noted the mine was owned by R W Pitt-Dixon of Ashford. (3)
- <1> SDR16693 Personal Observation: Smith, K. 1990. Personal communications regarding mines and coin finds in the Peak District. 5.9.90.
- <2> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales. p5.
- <3> SDR21164 Article in serial: Bowering, G & Flindall, R. 1998. 'Hard times: a history of the Derbyshire chert industry', Mining History: The Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society. Volume 13, No. 5, pp 24-25.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2118 6894 (420m by 126m) (Multiple Site Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2017 12:46PM