Monument record MDR3616 - Earthworks, 82m south-east of Meadow Place Grange, Youlgreave
Type and Period (3)
- HOUSE PLATFORM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LYNCHET (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Just outside the south-east corner of the existing Grange buildings, what appears to be a rectangular, levelled area 'cut' into the hillside associated with earthen banks is visible. This may relate to the medieval buildings at the Grange (see SMR 15723, 29303). (1,2). Bevan records this earthwork area and the earthwork in SMR 29303 as one complete area of medieval field system. It is comprised of lynchets, banks and ditches and is probably connected to the monastic grange (SMR 15723). (3).
- <1> SDR1335 Aerial Photograph: 1996. AP: NMR12952/30: 18/11/96.
- <2> SDR1336 Aerial Photograph: AP: NMR12952/31: 18/11/96.
- <3> SDR616 Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 1995. Meadow Place Grange, Youlgreave, with land near Weaddow Lane, Middleton & Smerrill, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1995. 207. No.3, p9, illus.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2014 6571 (106m by 102m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||YOULGREAVE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 23 2015 12:09PM