Monument record MDR3620 - Bunker's Hill Cave, Bunker's Hill Wood, Beeley
Type and Period (1)
- CAVE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
[SK 2847 6901] (a) Rock shelter in Bunker's Hill Wood, Beeley Moor. Discovered by a forester in October, 1958. Three sherds of overhanging rim urns from here are in Sheffield City Museum. (1) A simple 'rock hole' under a natural overhang; 8.0m. deep with 2.0m. maximum headroom; there are obvious signs of excavation. Located at SK 28446903, and surveyed at 1/2500. (2) In 1957 Mr C Gregory excavated the entrance to this cave, finding a spread of sherds of Middle Bronze Age pottery in the upper of two charcoal layers. Mr J E Bartlett, then of Sheffield City Museum, helped to extend the excavation into the cave to a distance of 14ft. In 1966 it was decided to excavate the cave fully. Further charcoal was found, as was a virtually complete Middle Bronze Age urn with a shallow overhanging rim and elaborate cord-impressed decoration. Pieces of two further urns were recovered. No flints, worked stone or animal bones were found to suggest a long period of occupation, and no cremated bones were found to suggest a burial site. The spread of pottery was considered to be domestic rather than funerary, and the site probably represents a temporary dwelling site of the Middle Bronze Age. (3) Photographic record. (6)
- <1a> SDR15344 Unpublished document:
- <1> SDR8220 Bibliographic reference:
- <2> SDR6310 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 13-JUN-66.
- <3> SDR13361 Article in serial: Radley, J & Cooper, L. 1966. 'An occupied cave of the Bronze Age, Bunker's Hill Wood, Beeley', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 86, pp 93-98.
- <4> SDR5714 Article in serial: E. Mid. Arch. Bull. 1958.
- <5> SDR9531 Index: NDAT. 0321. 0321.
- <6> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 1412.1-3.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2844 6903 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BEELEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2016 10:17AM